Late breaking news: The USAF has awarded the KC-X aerial refueling tanker contract to the Boeing Company. This is huge news for our friends at Boeing, and a win for the Puget Sound Region’s economy. I hope everyone takes a moment to celebrate, but it should be tempered. Nearly everyone expects a protest to be imminent, and we know from experience how poisoned this whole process has been to date. Stay tuned for more…
Tag Archives: Tanker
Depending on who you listen to, the agony that has been the Boeing/EADS tanker death match may be finally coming to some sort of conclusion. The Air Force is making noises that the decision may be made in the next week or two (if you believe the rumors that are coming out of the Air Force Association’s winter meetings this week). Of course, this means all sides are busy posturing ahead of the decision as to the prospects of protests, but that’s to be expected. I’m not even going to lay odds on any outcome, but you’re more than welcomed to in the comments box. In fact, I’ll mail a PNDC coin to anybody who correctly calls the winner of the competition in the comments section. Extra credit if you correctly predict a protest.
Read more specifics on this mess over at DoD Buzz.
Is it just me, or did this four day week seem like ten? I think it’s the weather. Well, either way… it’s Friday, and I think I just saw the sun! Here’s the latest from around our world:
- SpaceX just ruined United Launch Alliance’s weekend [NY Times]
- Tanker Intrigue: EADS has a date to the prom? They’re not Telling… [DoD Buzz]
- Airborne Laser Lives to Zap Another Day [Danger Room]
- F-35 in the Dogfight of its Life… With the F-18? [The DEW Line]
- Primes Test new JLTV Prototypes (with video!) [Defense Tech]
- 2012 DoD Budget Outlook: Yikes. [Defense News]
That’s all for today, folks. Have a great weekend!
It’s the Friday before Memorial Day weekend, which means you are probably reading this on Tuesday, but I don’t mind. I’m going to the Indy 500 this weekend. By the time you read this I will have had a fantastic weekend, and I won’t care that you took Friday off. In the mean time, here’s a snapshot of what’s been going on this week:
- The Pentagon Gives Medical Research a Shot in the Arm [Danger Room]
- Navy: More Bummer for Pricey Boomer (I’m sorry, I couldn’t resist.) [Defense Tech]
- Congress Sticks it to the Obama Administration, Again [DoD Buzz]
- The Tanker Battle Just Gets More and More Interesting… [Defense News]
- Does Technology Actually Win Wars? Maybe Not. [Slate]
- Then again, Maybe so. [Slate]
Don’t forget to take a second over the weekend and quietly thank those who died so we could blissfully barbecue all around this great big country. They earned it.
Have a great weekend, everybody!
A fine selection of choice news bits for your Friday amusement:
- GEN Cartwright to Services: Suck it up. Ouch. [Defense Tech]
- Things on Capitol Hill are a little intrigue-y, and there’s a NW flavor to it. [Politico]
- Another STUAS Tier II rumour. Yawn. [Flight Global]
- Remainders of FCS take it on the chin. This is definitely beating a dead horse. [DoD Buzz]
- …because this will make the Tanker fight fairer. [US Senate]
- Congress is finding creative ways to get to a 300+ ship Navy [Defense News]
- F-35 flies, F-35 journalist grounded. Hell hath no fury like a prime contractor scorned. [Wired Danger Room]
Have a lovely Northwest Weekend!